Posts Tagged ‘health reform’
The mandatory level of health insurance required by Dutch law has recently increased in cost, despite record numbers of people being unable to meet the payments on their premiums. In addition there have been a number of changes to the terms of certain services and a significant rise in the excess rate. The Basisverzekering insurance [...]
In the developed world, debate rages on over whether a quality public health system can exist at reasonable cost. A recent Reuters report argued the problem with the Spanish healthcare system was that it was too good–that is to say, the Spanish people cannot actually afford the quality of care being delivered. Emerging economies, however, have [...]
Long a popular destination for expat funds, the Cayman Islands is looking to reform its health system by encouraging patients to seek private care rather than rely on the public health scheme. The government has already created a cost review committee and implemented CayHealth, a program designed to encourage preventative medicine (“we don’t go to [...]
Critics of South Africa’s new National Health Insurance (NHI) scheme say it is underfunded and will not address the underlying issues impacting the country’s public health system, according to a piece by Xolile Bhengu in the Financial Mail. Critics argue the government’s plan will increase the tax burden on South Africa’s middle class without improving public [...]
Hong Kong’s Secretary for Food & Health, Dr. York Chow, said the autonomous region would set up groups to evaluate health reforms: namely an amended public health protection scheme. His announcement marked the end of a lengthy consulting process that evaluated over 500 submissions on the state of Hong Kong’s health system. It resulted in [...]
US health reform will hurt insurers’ expatriate business, according to Kaiser Health News’ Phil Galewitz and Christopher Weaver. At issue is the “medical-loss ratio” (or MLR), which requires insurers to spend a minimum 80% of premium revenues on health costs–leaving only 20% for administrative and other expenses. Insurers’ expat businesses were previously exempt from the [...]
Can't find what you are looking for?