France’s AXA is (still) the world’s largest insurer, according to rankings by A.M. Best Co., making it an attractive choice for expats the world over. AXA operates in 61 countries and has some 95 million clients.
It wrote USD 107.9 billion worth of net premiums in 2010.
That figure is 23.8% higher than the second place finisher, Italy’s Assicurazioni Generali, which wrote USD 87.17 billion in premiums.
Overall, the top insurers by net premiums in 2010 were:
1. AXA (France)
2. Assicurazioni Generali (Italy)
3. United Health Group (USA)
4. Allianz (Germany)
5. Japan Post Insurance (Japan)
6. Nat’l Mutual Insurance Federation of Agricultural Co-ops (Japan)
7. Munich Reinsurance (Germany)
8. Wellpoint Inc (USA)
9. Aviva Plc (UK)
10. China Life Insurance Group (China)
For expats who look for financial stability above all else in an insurer, this list’s probably a good place to start.