International health news
- Preventing suicide: it’s all in the behaviour – a new study has revealed that those suffering from depression with certain behavioural attributes are 50% more likely to commit suicide.
- Breaking the myths: water does not cure hangovers – according to new research made in Canada and the Netherlands, the only cure to a hangover is to drink less. Water and heavy eating might make you feel better, but will not cure the feelings of dehydration, nausea or dizziness.
- Pet allergies shouldn’t stop you from owning a pet – before turning your back on the idea of owning a furry friend, check out these tips to owning a pet that (might) prevent your allergies!
- 25 minutes of walk a day, 7 extra years of life – according to researchers, moderate exercise can halve the risk of death by heart attack, and also cuts obesity and diabetes.
Country health updates
- Sierra Leone: Ebola not eradicated – less than a week after doctors celebrated the release of their last ebola patient, the deadly virus kills a 67 year old woman.
- Sudan: is cholera back? – The World Health Organization have confirmed that the risk of a cholera outbreak in a refugee camp in Sudan is high. They believe it could be prevented with oral vaccines if introduced on time.
- India: a momentous public health feat – Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced that maternal and neonatal tetanus has been eradicated thanks to the effort and commitment of the country.
[Image: Mike Baird]