International health news
- Mediterranean diet cuts heart risks – Living in a Mediterranean country and eating fresh local produce can lower your heart attack risk by 30%.
- Mosquito repellent becoming less effective – Research shows mosquitoes ignore DEET repellent after their first encounter with it.
- Sitting all day even worse than previously thought – The more you sit the greater your risk of cancer, heart disease and diabetes.
- Dieters should check high-fibre foods – Many high-fibre products aimed at dieters contain more calories than on the label.
- Russia: Public smoking ban – President Putin passes a law banning smoking on trains, in restaurants and other public places.
- UK: English language tests for foreign doctors – Expat doctors wanting to work in the UK will have to prove their English ability.
- USA: New drug approved for advanced breast cancer – The new drug, Kadcyla, extends the life of advanced cancer sufferers.