International health news
- Daily aspirin cuts cancer risk – Taking an aspirin everyday could cut the risk of digestive cancers in people aged between 50-65, according to an international study.
- Low vitamin D linked to dementia – People with severe vitamin D deficiency have an increased risk of developing dementia says the largest study on the topic.
- How healthy are natural sweeteners? – Agave syrup and stevia are sweeping the shelves as safer alternatives to artificial sweeteners, but how healthy are they?
- What is oil pulling? – The recent trend for natural, chemical-free options when it comes to health includes oil-pulling, but what is it, and does it work?
Country health updates
- Spain: Ebola patient gets experimental drug – The first Ebola victim to be transferred to Europe is treated with an experimental drug from the USA.
- UK: Plans to tackle problem drinking – UK to combat problem drinking with lower drink drive limits and warnings on alcohol similar to those on cigarettes.
- USA: ALS ice challenge goes viral – Participants are filmed pouring ice water on themselves then nominating others while also donating money to ALS research.