International health news
- Sunscreen alone not enough? – Sunscreen is the main defense against blocking UV rays and preventing skin cancer, but research shows alone it isn’t enough.
- Recession led to ‘10,000 suicides’ – A study has shown suicides have ‘risen markedly’ since the economic crisis began in North America and Europe.
- Patient sings through throat surgery – A professional singer sung through her throat surgery to prevent damage to her vocal chords in a world-first.
- Washing chicken spreads infection – 44% of people wash raw chicken before cooking it, but experts warn this spreads Campylobacter bacteria around the kitchen.
Country health updates
- Canada: Salmonella outbreak linked to chia seeds – A salmonella outbreak on the Canadian-US border is linked to recalled chia powder.
- China: Biting pencils blamed for lead poisoning – Excessive levels of lead found in children living near a chemical plant have been blamed on chewing pencils.
- India: Festival clue to antibiotic resistance – Millions gather at Ganges festivals and scientists are using them to study how antibiotic resistance is spread.