International health news
- Blood test to detect pancreatic cancer – Scientists are investigating the effectiveness of a blood test which could help detect early signs of pancreatic cancer.
- Melanoma rates have doubled over the last 30 years – Further awareness of the dangers of skin cancer could prevent up to 20% of cases.
- Protecting ecosystems may help keep us healthy – Greater biodiversity may help to prevent animal borne illnesses.
- Do you understand how your sunscreen works? – A survey of 2000 people found that many do not fully understand the difference between UVA and UVB rays and they don’t know how sunscreens work. Here are some tips on how to choose an effective sunscreen.
Country health updates
- Poland: Women’s rights group fly abortion pills into Poland – A group of Dutch campaigners taped packets of the pills onto a remote control drone and landed the vehicle in Poland in an attempt to battle the country’s restrictive abortion laws.
- Sierra Leone: How one of the toughest slums beat Ebola – With Ebola on their doorstep, Moa Wharf was expected to be the location of the next big outbreak.
- Pakistan: Heat wave causes over 800 deaths – The continued heatwave in Sindh, Pakistan, has caused over 800 deaths. Residents have blamed the regular power outages restricting their use of air conditioners.