International health news
- Measles deaths down 78% worldwide – Immunisation programmes are to thank for a 78% global decrease in measles deaths, says WHO.
- Cancer cells sensitive to vitamin C – Research has shown injecting vitamin C can help kill cancer cells but leave normal cells unharmed.
- “Catastrophic consequences” from lack of research – A UK study has shown people are going abroad for medical treatment without doing enough research.
- Daily aspirin lowers ovarian cancer risk – Taking a low dose of aspirin every day can lower women’s risk of ovarian cancer by 20%.
- Taiwan: Expats return home for medical care – Over the Chinese New Year Taiwanese living abroad return home to see family and get treatment.
- China: New strain of bird flu identified – Officials are monitoring a new, deadly strain of bird flu after a 73 year-old woman died in Nanchang City.
- Canada: People still struggling to put food on the table – Despite economic growth the number of families struggling to feed themselves has grown.