International health news
- Cancer costing EU billions – Cancer costs EU countries €126bn a year, according to a new study, Cancer Research UK calls it a “huge burden”.
- Malaria vaccine protects for 18 months – Results from trials of an experimental malaria vaccine show it protects young children for up to 18 months.
- Brain scan shows language development – Toddlers have a “critical window” for language development between two and four years of age.
- Regular bedtimes mean calmer kids – A direct link between regular bedtimes and children’s behaviour at school has been found.
Country health alerts
- Mexico: Cholera outbreak worsening – The number of infections has risen from 46 at the beginning of October, to 159, the majority in Hidalgo state.
- UK: Third of hospital trusts recruiting nurses from abroad – Many hospitals are recruiting nurses from overseas to fill new shortages.
- China: HIV ban in public bathhouses – A government proposal to ban HIV positive people from bathhouses has been branded discriminatory by the public.