International health news
- Endometriosis raises chance of miscarriage – A study found the found the condition increased the risk of losing the baby by 76%.
- Dozens of new cases of Ebola in West Africa – At least 45 new cases of the deadly virus have been reported this month.
- Lack of sleep could be a cause of Alzheimer’s – Studies suggest that a unique pattern of sleep brain waves are linked to the build up of brain proteins which lead to loss of memory.
- Feeding vegetables to babies helps develop broader diet – Infants exposed to a variety of tastes during the first 15 days of weaning are more likely to develop a taste for healthy foods as they grow up.
- Eating nuts every day could lower risk of early death – Consuming at least a handful of them (at least 10g) every day could lower chance of death with 23%.
- Movement helps ADHD children to focus – New study finds that physical activity may actually boost cognitive performance.
Country Health Updates
- India: Bindis could help women and babies stay healthy – The little red dots may be used to deliver Iodine, an essential micronutrient to avoid a number of health problems.
- Ukraine: Mobile healthcare is on the rise – WHO has trained medical staff to deliver quality health services for internally displaced people and communities in conflict areas.
- Australia: study finds the average worker is unfit, overweight or stressed – Doctors say health problems are a pressing issue for governments if they want to boost productivity.