International health news
- Music reduces post-surgery pain – according to new findings, undergoing surgery with music helps patients feel less pain and helps recovery after surgery.
- Hope is found in new vaccine trials against RSV – respiratory syncytial virus is the second largest cause of death in children under one in developing countries.
- A new summer ritual – 300,000 people in the United States are diagnosed with Lyme disease. Incorporate the “tick-check” into your summer rituals, especially if you have children or dogs who love to play outdoors.
- How much sitting is too much sitting? – researchers recommend standing up between two and four hours per day for those who work sitting down 8+ hours a day.
Country health updates
- UK: Diabetes increase by 60% during the past decade – NHS stated that there are 3.3 million people living with diabetes in the UK; 2005 had only 2.1 million cases.
- USA: Animas River spill causes concerning levels of metals – toxicologists have said the metals could cause severe health damage in the next years or decades.
- Africa: one year without polio – scientists around the world are quietly celebrating the huge milestone of one year without any new polio cases in Africa.
[Image credits: PV2 Andrew W. McGalliard]