International health news
- Shift work linked to health problems – Disrupted sleeping patterns can raise risk of metabolic disorders.
- New therapy improves lives of cystic fibrosis sufferers – A new drug that offers hope to many is currently being tested by regulators around the world.
- Overuse of headphones creating deaf generation – A steady onslaught of loud noise is damaging the hearing of many young people.
- Who knew sitting on the toilet was bad for you? – Studies show that sitting down does not allow “the hatch” to open completely.
- “Nanotechnology” creeping into our food – Chemicals, minerals and other ‘nano materials’ are being added to a surprisingly high number of consumer products.
Country Health Updates
- Uruguay: shakers banned in restaurants in the capital – In the name of public health, the government have made it illegal to put salt shakers, mayonnaise and ketchup on tables.
- US: should federal money be used to support needle exchanges? – Governments deliberate need to distribute sterile syringes to intravenous drug users after outbreak of HIV and hepatitis.
- New Zealand: new laws to limit dairies – Health officials target dairies in Auckland in an attempt to tackle obesity battle.