International health news
- The deadliest communicable diseases — 10 million people died of communicable diseases in 2010, with respiratory illness being the biggest killer, will Ebola match this?
- Why Crohn’s disease is still going unrecognised – Causing diarrhoea and severe stomach pain, Crohn’s disease is increasing in young people.
- Vegetarians have lower sperm counts – Vegetarian and vegan men have around 50 million sperm per ml, compared with 70 million in meat-eating men.
- Additional reasons to ensure good dental hygiene – Not brushing your teeth can increase your risk of heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and some cancers.
Country health updates
- UK: Costly gaps in maternal mental healthcare – A lack of mental health support for new mothers creates long-term costs of more than £8bn per year says new research.
- Nigeria: Declared Ebola-free – After six weeks with no new cases, Nigeria is to be declared Ebola-free by the World Health Organisation.
- USA: First case of Google Glass addiction? – A man was treated for addiction to his Google Glasses after he used them for up to 18 hours a day.