International health news
- Global life expectancy increases by 6 years — A new study in the Lancet says dramatic healthcare advances are behind increased life expectancy.
- Can hugs help prevent infections? – As well as boosting our mood and sense of wellbeing, hugs could also help protect us from cold viruses.
- Which jobs are the most depressing? – A study looking at depression rates across 55 industries found public transit and real estate are two of the worst for mental health.
- 7 ways to avoid temptation this season — Plan ahead, favour fruit and vegetables, get enough sleep and other tips to prevent overindulgence.
Country health updates
- UK: 4 in 5 nurses hired from abroad – NHS nurse shortages mean many nurses are hired from Spain, the Philippines and Portugal.
- Canada: Provinces starting to regulate e-cigs – No e-cigarettes containing nicotine are authorised for sale in Canada, and many people don’t know what they’re smoking.
- EU: Obesity ‘could be a disability’ – The European courts of justice have ruled obesity can be classed as a disability if it hinders a person’s ability to work.