International health news
- Plastic food packaging concerns misplaced – A recent study which fueled suspicions over the safety of plastic food packaging has been criticized by scientists.
- Soaring elderly Asian suicide rate — The suicide rate in over-65s has spiked over the last decade, particularly in wealthier Asian countries.
- Largest ever stem cell heart trial starts – A trial to test whether stem cells can mend damaged heart tissue has started in London involving patients in 11 countries.
- The ‘functional food’ – Thought to be poisonous 200 years ago, the tomato actually has many health benefits, and is a staple in the much lauded Mediterranean diet.
- USA: Polio-like disease reported — A rare disease has infected 20 people over the last month in California, causing weakness and paralysis of limbs, similar to polio.
- Romania: No incentive to stay – 10,000 doctors and nurses have left to work abroad in the last 7 years, tempted by higher salaries and better conditions.
- Canada: Selling health expertise abroad – Canadian public hospitals are selling their know-how in the international healthcare market.