International health news
- UV rays pose threat to eye health – UV exposure has been linked to several serious eye conditions, experts are warning people to use the correct sunglasses this summer.
- One minute of exercise a week for elderly – Just a minute of high-intensity exercise a week can lower blood pressure and improve pensioners’ ability to do simple tasks.
- New virus found in human intestines – A previously unknown bacteriophage has been discovered in the human gut, scientists say it could play a role in chronic disease.
- Try a fist bump instead of a handshake – Handshakes transfer 10 times more bacteria than a fist bump, with scientists calling for alternative greetings to be used, particularly during flu outbreaks.
Country health updates
- Liberia: US expat doctor treated for ebola – An American doctor is receiving intensive treatment after contracting ebola while treating patients in Liberia.
- USA: Hunt for TB infected patient – An arrest warrant was issued for a Mexican man who failed to complete the full course of treatment for tuberculosis.
- UK: Calls for hepatitis E blood donor screening – 1 in 3,000 blood donors in England carry the heptitis E virus, promopting calls for a Europe-wide screening programme.