International health news
- Seaside living good for health – People who live near the sea are markedly happier than city dwellers, reports the recent UK census.
- “Striking” levels of poor oral health in athletes – A surprising number of London 2012 athletes had bad teeth – 1 in 5 said oral health damaged training and performance.
- Effects of memory loss on bilinguals – When bilingual people suffer memory loss, which language should they relearn to trigger memories of the other language?
- Marriage boosts cancer survival rates – A new study has found unmarried people have a 17% higher chance of metastatic cancer than married people.
Country health alerts
- China: New nose grown on man’s forehead – A bad infection after a car crash meant Xiaolian’s nose couldn’t be saved, so surgeons grew him a new one.
- Tanzania: 16% adults smoke – Tobacco companies target young people among calls for tougher advertising rules.
- USA: Melon farmers charged in listeria outbreak – Two brothers in Colorado have been charged with causing a listeria outbreak which killed 33 people.