International health news
- Eight countries with better healthcare than the US – These countries have been rated as having the most efficient health systems in the world.
- Social media food photos bad for appetite – Researchers suggest looking at too many food photos makes it less enjoyable to eat.
- Over-50s men unaware of disease symptoms – Older men are less aware of the symptoms of serious diseases, such as cancer, than women.
- Walking could “save thousands” – In recent studies walking has been shown to cut the risk of breast cancer and be as effective as drugs for some illnesses.
Country health alerts
- Mexico: Cholera outbreak infects 46 – Mexico has been added to the latest cholera alert for the Americas, with 46 cases and one death recorded.
- USA: Obamacare starts with technical problems – Online health insurance exchanges opened in America to heavy traffic, causing delays for many.
- Ireland: Tobacco-free by 2025? – Government plans to make Ireland a “tobacco-free state”, where less than 5% of the population smoke by 2025.