International health news
- Global cancer cases skyrocket – The number of cancer cases has leaped to 14 million cases annually, a shift in developing countries’ lifestyles is partly to blame.
- Breast cancer drug “halves” tumour risk – A “landmark study” has shown anastrozole is cheaper, more effective and has less side-effects than current drugs.
- Childhood cancer, adult repercussions – The effect of childhood cancer and treatment significantly affects the lives of 70% of survivors in adulthood.
- Eat your carrots — While they may not make you see in the dark, carrots still have many health benefits and are a great source of vitamin A.
Country health alerts
- Netherlands: Euthanasia for elderly people — A “significant minority” of the Dutch public back euthanasia for healthy elderly people who wish to die.
- Uruguay: Legalising cannabis violates international law – A new law allowing Uruguayans over 18 to buy up to 40g a month has been declared illegal by the UN.
- Mexico: Stolen radioactive material recovered – Authorities have recovered the cobalt-60 stolen from a truck last week, and say there is no risk to the nearby town.