International health news
- Suicide death every 40 seconds – WHO warns suicide is a “major public health problem” and only 28 countries have a national suicide prevention strategy.
- AB blood type linked with memory loss – Even though only 4% of the US population are blood type AB they are 82% more likely to develop thinking and memory problems.
- E-cigarette warnings “alarmist” – Researchers have spoken out against criticism of e-cigarettes by WHO and say switching to e-cigs could save many lives.
- Potassium could lower stroke risk – Older women who have potassium-rich diets may be at lower risk of stroke and live longer then women who lack potassium.
Country health updates
- Canada: West Nile Virus cases down on last year – A cooler summer has meant fewer WNV cases, with only one person infected this year in Ottawa.
- Spain: Aysha King transferred to Prague for treatment – A young British boy at the centre of an international search, will go to Prague for proton beam cancer treatment.
- Sierra Leone: 3 day Ebola quarantine – From September 19-21 everybody is expected to stay indoors as teams go door-to-door to find hidden Ebola patients.