International health news
- Single blood test for several cancers — Scientists working to create a single blood test which screens for several cancers are step closer to their goal.
- Movember is back – Money raised in previous years by men growing moustaches to raise awareness of male cancers is helping research new tests for prostate cancer.
- Catastrophe of global overpopulation – By 2100 the world’s population will be higher than previously thought, what does this mean for public health systems?
- Preventing a serious fall this autumn – With an ageing population, experts are studying ways to reduce falls among the over-65s as more are being hospitalised each year.
- Bed-sharing with baby risks and benefits – The percentage of babies who share a bed with a parent or caregiver more than doubled between 1993 and 2010.
Country health updates
- Canada: Visa ban for West Africans – Canada has suspended all visa applications from residents of the countries worst hit by Ebola.
- USA: Right do die with dignity advocate dies – Brittany Maynard, suffering from terminal cancer, ended her life this week under Oregon’s “Death with Dignity Act”.
- UK: Alcohol needs calorie labels – Experts say many people are ‘blissfully unaware’ how many calories they consume visa alcohol and are calling for calorie labels.