International health news
- TB is ‘gravest public health threat’ – Global efforts to combat drug-resistant TB are “inadequate” and new strains of the disease are a grave threat, say experts.
- Stress doubles infertility risk – Women with high levels of stress hormones should try yoga and meditation if they are struggling to conceive.
- Mother and child activity levels linked – Physical activity in kids is tied to healthy development, and the more active the mother, the more active the child.
- Saturated fat advice is unclear – No evidence swapping “bad” saturated fats for “healthy” polyunsaturated ones will lower your risk of a heart attack.
- Czech Republic: Insurance to cover surgery abroad – Residents can now opt for surgery in another EU country covered by their insurance.
- Guinea: Deadly Ebola reaches capital city – The first reported outbreak of Ebola virus in the African nation of Guinea has killed 59 people.
- UK: Meningitis vaccine approved – A vaccine against meningitis B will be introduced to the existing immunisation schedule for children, starting at 2 months old.