International health news
- Antibiotic breakthrough after decades — A new method for growing bacteria has yielded 25 new antibiotics, with one being ‘very promising’.
- Alcohol poisoning killing 6 people a day – Alcohol poisoning is becoming one of the most preventable causes of death, says the CDC.
- Ebola vaccines move to the frontline – Two promising vaccines are to be used in West Africa in the ongoing fight against Ebola.
- Play an instrument to ward off dementia — People who can make music have a one third lower chance of developing dementia.
Country health updates
- Scotland: Air pollution health crisis – 2,000 deaths have been blamed on air pollution which is regularly above EU and Scottish safe levels.
- USA: Especially bad flu season for seniors – Half way through flu season and experts say those over 65 have been worst hit.
- Cambodia: Medic charged with spreading HIV — An unlicensed medic has been charged with murder after unclean equipment he used infected over 200 with HIV.