International health news
- New era of personalised mobile medicine – Are we moving away from traditional treat and cure medicine to an era of predicting and preventing illnesses?
- 75% of people with the flu have no symptoms – This flu season saw 1 in 5 people infected, but only 23% showed symptoms, and only 17% sought medical help.
- Obesity and ovarian cancer link – For the first time ovarian cancer has been linked to lifestyle factors, as obesity is seen to increase a woman’s risk of ovarian cancer.
- Vigorous exercise cuts flu risk – Doing two and a half hours of vigorous exercise a week cuts you risk of getting flu, but moderate exercise doesn’t count!
- Greece: Now nurses are leaving – One in four nurses is currently unemployed with many applying to work abroad, further straining the health system.
- UK: Patient has new face printed – Sustaining serious damage in a motorcycle accident, 3D-printing was used to reconstruct Stephen Power’s face.
- France: Paris air pollution worse than Beijing – Air pollution reached dangerous levels so government makes public transport free and bans many vehicles.