International health news
- Global impact of depression revealed — After back pain, depression is the second biggest cause of disability worldwide, according to a new study.
- Syria polio outbreak could hit Europe – High vaccination coverage will be needed to prevent any spread of polio into Europe, say experts.
- New heart scan identifies high risk patients – Doctors hope new test will identify fatty build-up in arteries before it causes a heart attack.
- More health benefits of tea – The second-most consumed beverage in the world improves our mood, promotes weight loss and helps prevent chronic illness.
- Keep your diet on track this holiday season – Advice on how to stay in shape and make better food choices as the excesses of the holidays start tempting us.
Country health alerts
- Beijing: Lung cancer cases “soar” — Lung cancer cases have increased 50% over the last decade as air pollution problems continue to plague the city.
- USA: Considering a ban on trans fats – The FDA says trans fats are “no longer recognised as safe” and seeks to ban them, potentially saving 7,000 lives a year.
- Philippines: Typhoon Haiyan aftermath — Aid workers are struggling to reach those who need it most, and decomposing bodies pose a major health hazard.