International health news
- Diabetes early death risk has fallen dramatically – In the 1990s diabetics were twice as likely to die than those without the disease.
- More than a third of women raped or physically abused – Violence against women is described as a “global health epidemic”, by a WHO report
- Vitamins, too much of a good thing? – People often think they can never have too many vitamins, but one doctor disagrees.
- Top eats before you workout – Whether you exercise in the morning, midday or after work what you eat beforehand makes a difference.
- Take care of your heart abroad – Heart attack risk soars as people on holiday eat and move around more, putting extra stress on the body.
Country health alerts
- Singapore: Haze now “life-threatening” – The haze from Indonesian wildfires has reached the highest pollution levels in Singapore’s history.
- Australia: New antibiotic fights superbugs – Zinforo used to treat skin and soft tissues infections caused by superbugs in Australian hospitals.
- Japan: Recommendation for HPV vaccine withdrawn – Local authorities told to stop promotion of the HPV vaccine due to adverse side-effects.