International health news
- E-cigarette industry difficult to regulate — Hundreds of e-cigarette products are available with little or no regulation of their content in some countries.
- Irregular heartbeat “growing global health problem” – The cost of treating atrial fibrillation in US alone is US$6.65 billion.
- Dealing with social anxiety at Christmas – 10% of Britons are affected by social anxiety, with Christmas and its added pressures often making the problem worse.
- Apple-a-day call for over 50s — The number of stroke and heart attack related deaths would be reduced if over-50s ate just one apple a day.
Country health alerts
- Lebanon: Fighting to keep polio out — Intensive vaccination programmes are working to keep polio spreading from Syria.
- Spain: Restrictive abortion law passed – The new draft law allows abortion only in the case of rape or threat to the mother’s health.
- South Korea: Teens using DIY plastic surgery – Unable to afford expensive treatments many young Koreans are resorting to hazardous DIY methods.