International health news
- UN goal to cut premature deaths by 40% – Experts suggest premature deaths can be cut 40% by 2030 as the number of child deaths fell one third between 2000 and 2010.
- World Alzheimer’s Report 2014 key findings – A major link between controlling high blood pressure and diabetes and reducing dementia risk is among the key findings.
- Roasted peanuts worse for allergies – Raw nuts could cause fewer allergic reactions as the chemical changes in the roasting process trigger the body’s immune system.
- 7 simple ways to boost happiness – The self-help book industry is huge, people spend millions on books to help improve their lives, these 7 tips on improving happiness are free!
Country health updates
- Haiti: Fighting cholera with human waste – An NGO is supplying eco-toilets to collect the human waste and recycle it into fertiliser after cholera killed 9,000 people.
- Syria: Measles vaccine deaths due to human error – 15 children died after receiving a muscle relaxant instead of the measles vaccine in Northern Syria.
- Sierra Leone: 3 day lock-down won’t be extended – People are now allowed out after a 3 day curfew to stop the spread of Ebola, one of the worst affected countries.