International health news
- Camels source of virus? — The Mers virus which originated in the Middle East could have spread to humans via camels, say scientists.
- Asian mosquito may spread disease in USA – Experts fear the mosquito, which carries dengue fever and other illnesses in Asia, is becoming a threat in the USA.
- Malaria vaccine shows promise – A malaria vaccine being tested in the U.S. has given positive results in early trials, protecting 12 out of 15 people.
- Fresh food diet linked to fewer allergies – Babies who eat more fresh, and less processed, food are less likely to suffer fewer allergies.
Country health alerts
- Netherlands: Global healthcare to be scrapped – Ministers want to remove global coverage from basic Dutch travel insurance, saving €60 million per year.
- Ghana: Western food to be limited? – The increased consumption of western foods has been blamed for a rise in heart disease in the country.
- UK: More births than any year since 1972 – The UK saw 813,200 births in 2011/12, making it the largest population growth in the EU.