International health news
- 220 million immunised against meningitis in Africa – from thousands of deaths a year to only 4 reported cases in the meningitis belt of the world, the WHO have declared that vaccinations are successful.
- Facing men’s health with Movember – once again the campaign to raise awareness about men’s health is back and it is stronger than ever.
- Inappropriate laughter could reveal early sign of dementia – a new London study revealed that a change in humour, such as laughing at tragic events, could be a sign of early dementia.
- Post-partum depression and getting the help you need – 1 in 5 women will experience some sort of depression, anxiety or mood disorder during or after pregnancy.
- Keeping your brain young and healthy – according to experts, this Mediterranean diet can make your brain 5 years younger.
Country health updates
- Sierra Leone: officially Ebola free – after 42 days without a single case of Ebola reported, the country is declared free of the disease.
- Australia: stronger flu vaccines needed – there were 25,000 more cases of flu in Australia this year than last; a stronger vaccine will be introduced in 2016.
- USA: middle-aged white people dying – a new study has revealed an increase in mortality amongst middle-aged white Americans in the last 15 years, whereas Hispanics and black people have seen a 2% decline yearly.