International health news
- Top health stories from 2013 — Deadly infections, post-menopausal pregnancy, and an HIV cure are among the top medical stories this year.
- Reading a novel changes your brain – Reading a book can not only change your perspective, but also your brain (at least for a few days), say researchers.
- Record breaking transplant patient – A 71-year old British man has broken the previous world record by surviving 31 years with a transplanted heart.
- Pregnant women should eat nuts — Eating nuts could reduce the risk of your child having a nut allergy as early exposure in the womb creates a natural tolerance.
Country health alerts
- UK: Migrants must pay for healthcare — New charges are to be introduced for some NHS services for overseas visitors and expats in England.
- USA: Seasonal flu takes hold — The number of states reporting flu jumped from 4 to 10 last week, the most common strain is H1N1 previously known as swine flu.
- Uruguay: Neighbours considering easing cannabis laws – Uruguay’s legalisation of cannabis has sparked changes in Argentina and Chile.