International health news
- Gene therapy to fight the effects of cystic fibrosis – Inherited condition could be stabilised by inhalation of the healthy genes, though results are modest as of yet.
- Odours to be used to detect Autism – Reactions to odours could provide an insight into whether people are born with autism or develop it later on, while also providing an earlier indicator of the syndrome.
- 10 seconds, 80 million bacteria – spread love, not germs, this International Kissing Day.
Country health updates
- Liberia: Ebola outbreak – UN envoy says that further outbreaks are likely to happen in other countries following the death of a 17-year old boy.
USA: Insurance rate increases approved – The US braces itself for a rise of between 20 to 40 percent in the cost of health insurance as the Affordable Care Act affects the industry.
- Australia: Low risk of HIV infection for invasive procedure patients – “Lax” hygiene practices by Sydney dentist leaves over 10,000 at risk.